Thursday, December 7, 2023

Artist Talk Featuring Mariana Rodela on December 7

What: Artist Talk featuring Mariana Rodela
When: Thursday, December 7 from 12:30-1:45
Where: Chemistry 1171
Instagram@marianarodela

Artist Bio:

My practice explores the use of play as a subversive entity against late stage capitalism. I want to encourage my viewers to reconsider their relationship to play and hopefully dispel the notion that we should be productive at all times. I hope to encourage my viewer to not scrutinize rest and “nothingness” but instead see them as a form of resistance. I’m interested in replacing the constant feeling of alienation in a capitalist society with community through my work. I do this through dematerialized forms of art making such as social practice and soft performance. By avoiding commodification I can subsequently create an emphasis on the viewers. Currently, I’m exploring the connection between soccer and art. I’m examining the wealth, spectacle, community, labor, the body, and other social issues surrounding soccer and Harder Stadium.