Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Artist Talk Featuring Maja Skjoth Hegelund on Thursday, November 30

WhoMaja Skjoth Hegelund 
What: Art 1A Artist Talk
When: Thursday, November 30 from 12:30-1:45
Where: Chemistry 1171

Artist Bio:

Maja Skjøth Hegelund is a Danish artist working with video, sound, and installation. Her work has been screened worldwide, including the Short Waves Festival (Pl), Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara, Frankfurt short film festival (Ger),  Video park (Srb), and the Copenhagen short film festival (Dk). Maja Holds an MA in Visual Culture from the Royal Danish Academy and an MFA in Art from University of California, Santa Barbara. 

Artist Statement:

I am a Danish artist working with video, performance, sound, and installation. My work introduces a temporary sentiment of bewildering purpose and poignant confusion. I am drawn to mystery and asking questions rather than answering them. The mild angst of not knowing but wondering carries over in my finished work, which is often described as humorous and uncanny. My process is experimental rather than highly structured, which enables me to discover moments and scenarios that immediately excite me. With the introduction of seemingly human characters, I question whether the living can be inanimate and objects can be alive and how they all (dis)engage in liminal dream-like spaces.