David Hockney. Barry Humphries from 82 Portraits and 1 Still-Life (2015)
We will meet at LACMA at the Wilshire Blvd. entrance next to the ticket office and Chris Burden's Urban Light sculpture (shown below) at 10:45 AM on the scheduled date. LACMA will be providing us with free admission to the museum.
5905 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone: (323) 857-6010
Parking costs $16.00 per vehicle, and it is not part of our free admission.
Chris Burden. Urban Light (2008) LACMA
Here are a few things to consider about our LACMA field trip:
1) First, remember that this field trip is an all day event, and it replaces the Tuesday/Thursday lectures (July 17 &19). You will, however, be attending your section (July 18). Failing to go to LACMA, or the alternative museum trip to the Santa Barbara Museum of Art and the MCA, will result in two absences being recorded.
2) You must fill out the University of California, Santa Barbara Waiver of Liability, Assumption of the Risk & Indemnity Agreement if you are going on the LACMA field trip, even if you are staying in Los Angeles that weekend. If you haven't, then submit it to your TA ASAP. This is mandatory UCSB policy.
3) Be sure that your TA has your phone number and email, and that you have her email. If you arrive late, you want to be able to find us at the museum.
4) I would suggest eating a big breakfast since we won't be taking a break for lunch until around 2:00pm. Furthermore, pack snacks for the road, and for lunch, unless you want to treat yourself to food at the museum. There are also food trucks that park across from the museum on Wilshire Blvd.
5) If you are driving from Santa Barbara, be sure to give yourself at least two hours to drive to LACMA.You never know what kind of traffic that you will encounter.
6) Wear comfortable shoes and clothing! We will be doing a lot of walking and hiking up stairs, so you want to be very comfortable.
7) Charge your phone since you will want to take a lot of pictures at the museum.
8) If you do not already have a Twitter account, then please start one for Art 1A since you will be taking pictures and Tweeting responses. Please use the Art 1A and LACMA handles: @Art1AUCSB and @LACMA
Magritte. The Treachery of Images (1928-29). LACMA
STUDENTS WHO DON'T GO TO LACMA:Students who will not be going to LACMA will need to take a trip to downtown Santa Barbara to go to both the Santa Barbara Museum of Art and the Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
1130 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Tues - Sun 11 am - 5 pm
Thurs 11 am - 8 pm
Closed Mondays and holidays
Admission: Students with ID $3.00. Free admission for Santa Barbara County students (K – college) with current ID/proof of local residency.
Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara
653 Paseo Nuevo
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Mondays and Tuesdays: Closed
Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays: 11 - 5 pm
Thursdays: 11 - 8 pm
Sundays: Noon - 5 pm
ASSIGNMENTS FOR EVERYONE:Whether you go to LACMA or the Santa Barbara Museum of Art and the Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara, you will be tweeting pictures of works of art that interest you. Additionally, you will write a 2 page museum response paper that will be due on Tuesday, July 24 in lecture.
Here are the twitter handles that you will need to use if you go to LACMA:
Here are the twitter handles that you will need to use if you go to SBMA and MCA: