Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Art 1A Artist Talk Featuring David Wesley White December 1

Where: Art 1A 

When: Tuesday, December 1 from 12:30-1:45

Zoom Link (Tuesday Lecture Link)https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/93336999814

https://davidwesleywhite.com

 Instagram

About David Wesley White,

I use a research-based practice to examine personal and American history through a queer lens. In my art, I search for visual clues hidden deep within the archive that feel particularly surreal or prophetic. I then use this material like language; finding ways to manipulate meanings through specific interventions and arrangements. Recently I have been questioning the symbology of gay male culture; how it was born and how it reproduces itself without the ability to biologically reproduce. 

Whether invading a replica of Reagan’s Oval Office, sewing fitted bedsheets over the bodies of queer companions, or miniaturizing the life-saving blast-holes from Pulse nightclub—my art traces and breaks through the edges of the established past. The American vision I present is dystopian and sublime; highlighting nuggets of humor and beauty within a continuum of political frustration and fear. 


David received his MFA from UCSB in 2020.