Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Art 1A Artist Talk Featuring Kate Saubestre on December 10

Where: Art 1A
When: Thursday, December 10 from 12:30-1:45
Instagram@katesaub

About Kate Saubestre,

My work is reflective of the duality of my upbringing as an expat, “third-culture kid”, and the experience of living in the United States for the first time when I moved to New York City as a college student. My work frequently explores common perceptions of American identity and Western values. Specifically, I examine a variety of facets including: consumer culture, object permanence, advertisement, media and individualized notions. I am interested in the lasting consequences that these systems will have on our environment and psyche. I am currently working on a smaller, more intimate scale; reflective of the confinement and limited social interactions that have come with quarantine. I have been examining common “Americanized” foods to address the dichotomic relationship of these “comfort” foods which are often met with shame or guilt-ridden behavior, and question if these schemas have shifted with the world grounding to a standstill.

Kate is an MFA student at UCSB.